Ask the Dietitian: What is Beet Powder Good For?
Spring is right around the corner (insert happy dance)! And with the changing of the seasons comes some of my favorite in-season produce picks: asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and beets. While they may not be a common staple at your house, beets are jam-packed with nutrition benefits. From liver support and increased exercise performance, to better bones and overall heart health, nothing beats eating a beet! Perhaps you’re not a big fan of root veggies, especially beets, because of their earthy flavor, potential to stain clothes, or the likelihood of making a mess cleaning and cooking them in your kitchen. Let me introduce beet powder, your new and natural health booster.
Beet powder provides the same nutritional benefits and vibrant color of beets without any of the peeling, cooking or juicing. Easily mix it into your favorite smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods or simply a glass of water.
Why beets? Beets and beet powder are true nutrition gems rich in antioxidants, electrolytes and dietary nitrates. The body converts dietary nitrate to nitric oxide which helps relax blood vessels for easier blood flow and oxygen delivery throughout the body. This natural conversion helps extend endurance, improve intensity, and lessen recovery times. Beets are also rich in potassium which may help lower blood pressure. Find your inner foodie, and give the following beet products a try.
- Performance Inspired Better Beet Powder: Enjoy the health benefits of beets in this highly concentrated, quality beet powder that easily dissolves in any type of liquid. Simply mix with water, 100% fruit juice or in a smoothie for extra heart-health, endurance and energy.
- Nature’s Way Beet Root Capsules: An easy and convenient option that supports antioxidant pathways and is rich in phytonutrients. Beet root capsules are one of the more popular botanicals on the market today.
- Plant Snacks Beet with Vegan Goat Cheese Cassava Root Chips: These allergy-friendly chips are a great option for everyone to enjoy with the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors.
Are you looking for more healthy and delicious mealtime inspiration? Prevent veggie boredom, and start exploring new ways to enjoy more root veggies like beets. Enjoy the vibrant color of beets in this delicious Beet and Walnut Quinoa Salad. It’s sure to keep your heart beating on.
All you need:
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1½ cups chopped cooked beets (about 8 ounces cooked beets)
- 8 baby carrots, sliced
- 1 (2 oz) package walnut pieces
- ¼ cup frozen peas, prepared according to package directions
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp light balsamic vinaigrette, divided
All you do:
- Prepare quinoa using 1 cup water and 1/8 teaspoon salt as directed; cool. Stir in beets, baby carrots, walnuts, peas and green onions. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Drizzle 1 tablespoon light balsamic vinaigrette over each serving.
*The blog articles, recipes and recommendations found on this site are not intended as medical advice and should not replace consulting with your medical provider. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.