Whether you’re raising a family, working long days, or simply feeling bored and unmotivated to finish a YouTube video workout at home, setting aside time to exercise might be challenging. Luckily, a New Year and fresh perspective can help reignite a healthier lifestyle and provide that nudge reminding you that your body (and brain) enjoys moving, sweating and breathing.
As a registered dietitian at Hy-Vee, I often hear my clients say, “I know what to do with my diet. I just need help doing it!” The same goes with physical activity. We know cardio and strength training exercises like burpees and push-ups are good for us. Yet carving out the time and motivation to “just do it” like Nike says proves to be more and more challenging. Just like my clients who are seeking a meal plan to tell them what to eat, some of us benefit from a personal trainer or group fitness class telling us just how many squats or bicep curls to do. Some of us just need an accountability buddy! There’s no shame in admitting that.
Others might find having new fitness gear can easily boost their excitement to exercise. During COVID, I have found it much more challenging to complete my workouts at home without owning any fitness gear. I tried using wine bottles, laundry detergent and soup cans! Hy-Vee’s got your back now, carrying wellness products and fitness equipment to help you crush your New Year’s goals! I hope you find this new gear makes you feel stronger and more confident than ever before!
1. Tone It Up Booty Bands: Low-, medium- and high-resistance bands help tone muscle and increase flexibility.
2. Tone It Up Flex Band: The 48-inch band provides resistance to build muscle without free weights.
3. Tone It Up Jump Rope: Quickly work up a sweat and improve your cardiovascular health.
4. Rubbermaid Leak-Proof Water Bottle: An effortless way to boost energy levels, improve concentration and keep you feeling well from head to toe. After all, your body is approximately 60% water. Dietitian’s tip: Carry your reusable water bottle (aka water buddy) with you wherever you go as if it was your cellphone or wallet!
5. Joe Fresh workout clothes: Set the tone for your workout (swap out your worn college t-shirts and sweatpants) with moisture-wicking tanks and high-rise leggings with four-way stretch. They can help maximize comfort and minimize distractions and hopefully put a smile on your face too!
Last, don’t be afraid to switch things up! This Barre Breakdown workout from Hy-Vee’s Seasons magazine is a fun way to move your body while strengthening your core, balance and flexibility. Now all that’s left for you to do is find a slammin’ music playlist!
Looking for a meal plan to complement your workout routine? Hy-Vee’s team of registered dietitians have you covered with our 4-week menu program, Healthy Habits. It’s complete with weekly menu plans outlining exactly what to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. You also receive weekly check-ins with your dietitian, recipes and shopping lists. The easiest piece? You can do this from the comfort of your own home or office, wherever you are. Visit our Hy-Vee dietitian website to sign up or check out the other services that we offer.
*The blog articles, recipes and recommendations found on this site are not intended as medical advice and should not replace consulting with your medical provider. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.