A good old-fashioned walk is one of the most accessible exercises you can do to not only improve cardiovascular health, but to help you lose weight, live longer and improve mood, too. The goal of 10,000 daily steps may seem daunting, but rest assured, you can slowly reach this goal without drastically altering your schedule.
- Walk after you wake: Enjoying a stroll in the morning can help you feel more energized throughout your day. In addition, a walk first thing can prevent the excuses from sneaking in as the day unfolds. It’s great for overall health, but can help with mental health, too, by alleviating stress and anxiety. (There’s nothing like checking something off your to-do list first thing!) Pro tip: Sleep in your exercise clothes so you can simply get up and go!
- Set an alarm to move: Desk job? Sitting for a long period can increase your risk for heart disease. Setting an alarm on your phone or work calendar to get up and move every hour can benefit both your body and your brain. Five minutes of walking around your workplace or stepping outside can improve concentration and your overall step count.
- Walk while on the phone: What’s better than a productive task? Two productive tasks! Whether you’re chatting with a friend or have a phone meeting at work, walking while talking can up your steps quickly (without it feeling like “exercise”).
- Walk after dinner = winner: Eat, dishes, then out the door you go. Going on a walk after dinner can help with digestion, not to mention setting you up for quality sleep. Pro tip: Those with Type 2 diabetes can benefit with a post-dinner walk as it can help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Commercials are for the goal getters: Have your cake and eat it too, meaning – enjoy your nighttime show, but get up and go during those 2- to 5-minute commercial breaks. Walking in place, jumping jacks, or a quick run up and down on the stairs can add up. Pro tip: Beat your record from the previous commercial break to challenge yourself and make this a fun, competitive activity with yourself.
As you can see, these tips don’t scream extra steps in daytime regimen, but can add up significantly, stepwise!
Do you need some help with your health goals? Consider our Making the Change Packages. These consultation packages include a 60-minute initial consultation, a personalized nutrition store tour and, depending upon the package level purchased, additional follow-up visits. During your individual consultation(s) we will explore your health and wellness history and any current medical diagnoses in which dietary assistance can be an integral part of treatment. Your personalized nutrition store tour will allow you to explore the aisles 1-on-1 with a Hy-Vee registered dietitian to find items to fit your dietary needs and/or dietary restrictions. Reach out to your local Hy-Vee dietitian for more information on our Individual Nutrition Consultations or Making the Change Packages.
*The blog articles, recipes and recommendations found on this site are not intended as medical advice and should not replace consulting with your medical provider. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.