Taking Advantage of the Nutribullet®
“Trendy” is not a word I would use to describe myself. If you’re going through my closet or my kitchen appliance cabinets, you’re probably not going to find the latest and greatest in there. Seldom do I jump on the bandwagon and purchase something just because it’s popular. However, if there’s a sale, I have a hard time resisting a good deal. That (a super appliance sale at the local department store), my friends, is how I recently ended up with my nutribullet® … and let me tell you why I’m glad I did!
The nutribullet® is not your standard blender or juicer. It’s a little powerhouse specifically made to pulverize fiber, pulp, seeds and skin to not only help you enjoy the benefits of the whole food, but also to make nutrients more absorbable. As a dietitian, that’s something that’s important to me, but as a busy mom, I was maybe even more impressed with the fact that I could blend something up FAST! This original nutribullet® is the exact model I own, and I love that the same cup you use for prep is the same cup you can drink from. (Hello, dish saver!)
Smoothies and protein shakes [Click here for “How Do I Choose the Best Protein Powder?”] are always a great way to use a blender, but there are many other ways to take full advantage of the nutribullet®:
- Have a picky eater? Make pasta sauces smooth, or blend up veggies like spinach, carrots and zucchini to sneak into dishes.
- Try making your own homemade nut butter.
- Puree steamed fruits and veggies for fresh baby food.
- Use up garden herbs to make your own pesto.
- Create your own dips, sauces, soups or jams.
- Blend up oats to serve as flour, like in this Gluten-Free Oat Pancake Batter.
Gluten-Free Oat Pancake Batter
All you need:
2 cups oats, rolled, gluten-free
1 whole large egg
½ cup 1% milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
All you do:
- Add all ingredients, except for the baking powder, into the cup and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Mix in baking powder.
- Use batter for pancakes or waffles.
- Enjoy with mixed berries or your favorite toppings.
What’s your favorite way to use your favorite kitchen gadget? Looking for more inspiration? Join our Hy-Vee dietitians for Freezer Meal Prep Workshops that utilize recipes for slow cookers, Instant Pots, the grill and more!
*The blog articles, recipes and recommendations found on this site are not intended as medical advice and should not replace consulting with your medical provider. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.