Zap the Winter Blues with Zevia
Depending on where you live, Old Man Winter may be here to stay for the next few months. But that doesn’t mean our health should take a deep freeze. With a holiday hangover, it can feel exhausting to think about ways to eat better and seem daunting to try new products that can help aid our health and wellness goals.
One of the easiest ways to increase energy naturally and make a small improvement in our overall health is to stay hydrated. Whether you are looking to increase your fluid intake or are hoping to make a switch from sugar-filled beverages, your Hy-Vee dietitians have the perfect product to try to add a zip of flavor without any added sugar or calories.
Dietitian Ashley's Five Reasons to Try Zevia:
- Zero sugar, zero calories and naturally sweetened
- Made with a handful of simple, plant-based ingredients
- Non-GMO Project Verified, kosher, vegan and gluten free
- Zevia offers a variety of delicious and refreshing beverages for the entire family to enjoy.
- Zevia beverages are sweetened with stevia leaf extract and don’t have additives that many need to avoid in order to manage their conditions.
Zevia is sure to be a hit with everyone in the family! Kick the high calorie, sugar-filled beverages to the curb and try one of several different varieties of this stevia-sweetened, zero-calorie beverage line. Get even more adventurous in the kitchen this winter by cooking with Zevia. Add a dose of vitamin C and fight the winter blues with this delicious salad recipe that is sure to become a staple in your home.
All you need:
1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
1 blood orange, peeled and cut into rounds
½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
Large handful of radicchio, chopped
2 radishes, thinly sliced
2 large handfuls mixed greens
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/3 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
Salt and pepper, to taste
All you do:
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a bowl or platter.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour desired amount of salad dressing over the salad. Enjoy!
Need more tips on staying hydrated, or just focusing on options that will optimize your health? Sign up for a Discovery Session with our Hy-Vee dietitians! This simple, 30-minute appointment will help us learn more about you, your goals and how we can help you best. Whether it is Healthy Habits, our meal planning program, or our Navigating Nutrition store tour, we are here to help you! To find the closest dietitian, schedule your appointment or learn more about our programs, visit our Hy-Vee Dietitian Page.
*The blog articles, recipes and recommendations found on this site are not intended as medical advice and should not replace consulting with your medical provider. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.